Marshall is one of Nemecek & Cole’s highly skilled trial attorneys who has extensive experience handling complex and high-profile matters through trial. Named by the Daily Journal as one of the top professional liability attorneys in the State of California, Marshall represents many of the most successful and innovative licensed professionals in the United States through all aspects of litigation. Marshall also handles complex civil litigation matters arising out of real estate disputes, tax matters, sexual harassment claims and contract related disputes. With a proactive, decisive and approachable style, Marshall is known as an incredible problem solver who is able to resolve cases early and efficiently. When matters cannot be resolved, these same skills have allowed Marshall to maintain a consistent track record of obtaining verdicts in favor of his clients at trial. Marshall also donates his time serving as a Volunteer Prosecutor for the City of Inglewood.
Marshall is routinely called upon to speak at seminars regarding ethics, trial skills and relevant topics in the legal community.
Certified Specialist, Legal Malpractice Law, The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
- Professional Liability Defense
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
B.S., Political Science, University of San Diego
J.D., University of San Diego
Marshall is an American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) Trial College Fellow and serves on the Lawyer Defense Committee for the Association of Southern California Defense Counsel. He is also a member of: Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Fernando Valley Bar Association, Los Angeles County Bar Association, and the Beverly Hills Bar Association.
State Bar of California
United States District Court - Central District of California
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Marshall has been recognized by the Daily Journal as one of the top attorneys in the field of Professional Liability in the State of California for 2022. Marshall has also been recognized as an “Up and Coming Top 100” attorney in Los Angeles by Southern California’s Super Lawyers from 2019-2022. In addition, Marshall has also been named by his peers as one of Southern California’s Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” from 2014-2022.
Marshall has been a competitive water ski racer since he was six years old. He was the Junior World Champion for water ski racing in 2001 and was selected as a member of the United States Water Ski Racing Team for the 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007 world championships. Aside from water ski racing, Marshall is an avid mountain biker and snow skier. Marshall lives in Sherman Oaks.
Notable Cases / Published Decisions
- Machavia v. County of Los Angeles (2017) 19 Cal.App.5th 1050
Publications / Speaking Engagements
- “The Ethics Factor: Entertainment Malpractice and State Bar Issues” seminar by Marshall Cole, Ellen Pansky and Neville Johnson for the 2022 Institute on Entertainment Law and Business
- “Legal Malpractice Trends” seminar by Marshall Cole, James Rosen, and Kenny Brooks for the 2022 Association of Southern California Defense Counsel Annual Seminar
- Top Professional Responsibility Lawyers 2022, Los Angeles Daily Journal, March 9, 2022
- “Going Virtual in 2021: Trying cases in the digital age” seminar by Marshall Cole, Alice Chen-Smith and Nolan Armstrong for the Association of Southern California Defense Counsel Mini Annual Seminar, October 2021.
- “How to Avoid Being a Malpractice Defendant” seminar by Marshall Cole and Amanda Moghaddam for the Association of Southern California Defense Counsel, September 2021.
- “Entertainment Year in Review: Ethics in the Entertainment Industry” seminar by Marshall Cole, Ellen Pansky and Neville Johnson for the 2021 Beverly Hills Bar Association year in review.
- “Hot Topics re Legal Malpractice” seminar by Marshall Cole for the 2020 San Fernando Bar Association MCLE Marathon
- “You’ve Been Hacked” seminar by Marshall Cole and Michael Feenberg for the September 2019 Association of Southern California Defense Counsel Professional Liability Conference.
- “Hot Topics re Legal Malpractice” seminar by Marshall Cole for the 2019 San Fernando Bar Association MCLE Marathon.
- “People v. Sanchez – One Year Later” seminar by Marshall Cole, Michael Alder, Judge John Pacheco and John Taylor Jr. for the 2019 Association of Southern California Defense Counsel Annual Seminar.
- “Legal Ethics, Navigating the Perils of Joint Representation” seminar by Marshall Cole and Amanda Moghaddam for Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company, Fall 2017.
- “Navigating Conflicts: When to Call for Backup” seminar by Marshall Cole for the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Professional Liability Conference, June, 2017.
- “You Can’t Prenup Your Way Out of a Legal Malpractice Claim” seminar by Marshall Cole, Jonathan Cole and Michael McCarthy for the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers 2017 Trial Advocacy Institute, January, 2017.
- “What to Consider When Purchasing Professional Liability Insurance” authored by Marshall Cole with Marian Rice & Logan Murphy, American Bar Association, June, 2016.