Michelle R. Ferber began her legal career at Nemecek & Cole in 1990 and returned to the firm as an Of Counsel Attorney in 2016.
Michelle practices throughout the state in the areas of labor and employment law and has successfully tried these cases in state and federal courts. She regularly appears before various state and federal governmental agencies in defending her clients against wage and hour violations and allegations of harassment and discrimination.
In addition to her litigation practice, Michelle regularly advises clients on employment law issues in the workplace. She also provides sexual harassment and all types of employment training to her clients, including the proper handling of termination decisions, workplace accommodation issues, and leaves of absence.
Michelle's clients include retailers, restaurants, medical and dental providers, attorneys, accountants, moving and trucking companies, national employers and non-profit organizations.
B.A., Journalism, California State University, Northridge, 1987
Southwestern University School of Law, 1990
Judicial Extern, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Founding Board Member, Chelsea’s Hope, a non-profit organization dedicated to funding research to cure Lafora disease.
Founding Mock Trial Attorney Coach, Dougherty Valley High School
Former Vice President, Beth Chaim Congregation, Danville
California State Bar
United States District Court-Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, Second Circuit Court of Appeal
Professional Activities And Organizations
Former Officer and Executive Committee Member, Contra Costa County Bar Association
Past President and Member, Contra Costa County Bar Association Employment Section
Past Office and Member, Contra Costa County Bar Association Women’s Section
Discovery Facilitator, Contra Costa County Superior Court
Graduate, Contra Costa County Leadership Program
Member, Pro Visors
Named by her peers as one of Northern California’s Super Lawyers
Named the 2015 “Board Member Extraordinaire” by the Contra Costa County Bar Association Martindale-Hubbell AV rating
Publications / Speaking Engagements
- “Trends in Employment Law,” presented by Michelle Ferber for the LISC Bay Area HR Roundtable
- “Avoiding Wage and Hour Pitfalls – Are Your Unpaid Internships Compliant with Federal and State Laws?” presented by Michelle Ferber for the California Internship & Work Experience Association
- “Midyear Legislative Update/Hot Topics,” presented by Michelle Ferber for the Contra Costa County Employer Advisory Council
- “Annual Employment Law Update and Immediate Impact of Dynamex Decision,” presented by Michelle Ferber for the California Trucking Association
- “Annual Employment Update,” presented by Michelle Ferber for the Contra Costa County Bar Association
- “Two Entrepreneurs Walk Out of a Bar – Identifying HR and Bias Issues,” presented by Michelle Ferber for the JFK University Institute of Entrepreneurial Leadership