Matthew J. Hafey has been a member of Nemecek & Cole since January 2005, and is the head of the firm’s Insurance Coverage practice. Among other things, Matt serves as national coverage counsel for a prominent commercial automobile insurer which provides liability coverage for various rideshare programs throughout the United States.
Matt has represented insurers and policyholders in insurance coverage and “bad faith” litigation since graduating from law school in 1993. Matt has had extensive experience in policy interpretation (coverage opinions) and litigation concerning Commercial General Liability exposures, including construction defect, property damage, bodily injury and personal and advertising injury liability; business auto and uninsured / underinsured motorist coverages; professional liability (lawyers, accountants, architects / engineers, real estate / insurance brokers, physicians /surgeons and dentists); claims made and reported issues; directors and officers liability; employment practices liability; and film and television producers errors and omissions. Matt has also litigated dozens of lawsuits involving first party property damage matters (both homeowners and commercial property), earthquake, land movement, mold, fire, and water damage. Matt's practice includes the representation of broker/agents in insurance broker/agent professional liability matters. Other practice areas include the representation of homeowners associations, business tort and contract litigation, entertainment litigation, unfair competition, fraud, attorney professional liability and other complex litigation matters. Matt also regularly counsels skilled nursing care facilities regarding insurance coverage for elder abuse and other litigated claims.
- Insurance Coverage
- Bad Faith Litigation
- Professional Liability Defense
- Business Litigation
B.A., History, Columbia College, Columbia University, 1987
J.D., Loyola Law School, 1993
Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review 1991-1992
California State Bar, United States District Court for the Central, Northern, Southern and Eastern Districts of California, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Matt and his wife are both attorneys and are “transplants” from Connecticut. Their daughter (a screenwriter / film maker) and son (a graduate student pursuing a Masters degree in law and diplomacy) are California natives.
Notable Cases / Published Decisions
- Martin v. James River Insurance Company, 366 F.Supp.3d 1186 (D. Nev. 2019)
- James River Ins. Co v. Medolac Labs., 290 F.Supp.3d 956 (C.D. Cal. 2018)
- Centurion Med. Liab. Protective Risk Retention Grp. Inc. v. Gonzalez, 296 F.Supp.3d 1212 (C.D. Cal. 2017)
- Gil v. Mansano (2004) 121 Cal.App.4th 739
- Handled over 1,500 insurance coverage matters (coverage opinions and litigated matters) for insurers
- Recovered in excess of $100 million representing homeowners associations in Northridge earthquake insurance claims
- Recovered in excess of $10 million for insureds in commercial “bad faith” matter involving mold and business interruption loss