The State Bar of California
Board of Legal Specialization
Mark Schaeffer has been a member of Nemecek & Cole since March 2006.
During his career, Mark has represented some of the country's largest companies, real estate developers, business owners, legal professionals, individuals, and homeowner associations. His legal practice has covered a vast range of litigation services from business, real estate, professional liability, insurance, homeowner, and other civil disputes from inception through trial and appeal. Mark has had substantial experience in litigation management. He has also had considerable experience in all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration, and settlement conferences.
Mark heads the Appellate Department at Nemecek & Cole. He has had extensive experience in appeals and writs to California and Federal Courts of Appeal and to the California and United States Supreme Courts.
Mark is a Certified Specialist in Appellate Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization.
All phases of civil litigation with a heavy emphasis in appeals and writs.
Notable Cases/Published Decisions
- Moua v. Pittullo, Howington, Barker, Abernathy, LLP (2014) 228 Cal.App.4th 107
- Namikas v. Miller (2014) 225 Cal.App.4th 1574
- Barsegian v. Kessler & Kessler (2013) 215 Cal.App.4th 446
- Nemecek & Cole v. Horn (2012) 208 Cal.App.4th 641
- Cole v. Meyer & Associates, Inc. (2012) 206 Cal.App.4th 1095
- Glaser, Weil, Fink, Jacobs & Shapiro, LLP v. Goff (2011) 194 Cal.App.4th 423
- Jocer v. Price (2010) 183 Cal.App.4th 559
- Drum v. San Fernando Bar Ass'n (2010) 182 Cal.App.4th 247
- Martorana v. Marlin & Saltzman (2009) 175 Cal.App.4th 685
- Fagelbaum & Heller v. Smylie (2009) 174 Cal.App.4th 1351
- Alshafie v. Lallande (2009) 171 Cal.App.4th 421
- Lincoln Place Tenants Ass'n v. City of Los Angeles (2007) 155 Cal.App.4th 425
- Marlin v. AIMCO Venezia, LLC (2007) 154 Cal.App.4th 154
- Lazy Acres Market, Inc. v. Tseng (2007) 152 Cal.App.4th 1431
- Ross v. Kish (2006) 145 Cal.App.4th 188
- Mid-Century Ins. Co. v. Superior Court (2006) 138 Cal.App.4th 769
- Sinaloa Lake Owners Ass'n v. City of Simi Valley (1995) 70 F.3d 1095
- Sinaloa Lake Owners Ass'n, Inc. v. Stephenson (1992) 805 F.Supp. 824
- Industrial Tectonics, Inc. v. Aero Alloy (1990) 912 F.2d 1090
B.B.A., accounting and business, University of San Diego, 1983 magna cum laude; J.D., Hastings College of Law, 1986
Mark has made significant contributions, both financially and with his time, to numerous organizations that are designed to protect and preserve endangered wildlife, including the rhinoceros, Asian tiger, elephant, and big cats of Africa.
Judge Pro Tem for the Los Angeles Superior Court; Arbitrator for the Los Angeles County Bar Association; and Mediator and Arbitrator for Los Angeles Superior Court.
All courts in the State of California, United States Supreme Court, Court of Federal Claims, and Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
Selected to the 2013 & 2014 Southern California Super Lawyers list; American Jurisprudence Award for his work at Hastings College of the Law; Scholarship Award from San Diego Chapter of California Society of Certified Public Accountants
Mark plays tournament tennis and has been highly nationally and locally ranked. He enjoys traveling and has visited 86 countries. Mark spends his leisure time playing tennis, going to the gym, swimming, bicycling, meeting friends, and on his philanthropic ventures with various animal organizations. He is conversationally fluent in French.